Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Dictionary of Interjections


Word

Alt. spelling

Translation

Example

Meaning

aah!

aaah, aaaahh

"Help!"

"Aaaah! It's eating my leg!"

Fright, shock. Sometimes it means "ahh" instead.

aha

a-ha

"I understand"

"Aha! So you took the money!"

Understanding, triumph (can also be used as "ahh")

ahh

ahhh

"Ok, I see"

"Ahh, yes, I understand now"

Realisation, understanding. Sometimes it means "aaah" or "eh" instead.

argh

"Damn!"

"Argh, the car won't work!"

Annoyance, anger, frustration

aw

aww, awww

"How sweet!"

"Aww, what an adorable puppy"

Shows sentimental approval. (clip from Futurama).

aw

oh, ah

"That's too bad"

"Aw man, it hit him right in the nuts"

Feeling sorry or pity for someone

bah

"Whatever"

"Bah, I never liked him anyways."

Dismissive, annoyed

boo

booh

"That's bad"

"Boo, get off the stage!"

Disapproval, contempt (also something to yell to surprise people)

brr

brrrr

"It's cold"

"Brrr, it's -20C outside"

Being cold, shivering

eek

eeeek

"Help!"

"Eeek, a mouse!"

Girly scream. Surprised, scared.

eep

"Oh no!"

"Eep! I didn't mean to say that!"

Surprise (female)

eh?

"What?"

"Eh? I didn't hear what you said."

Misunderstanding. Also see "huh?"

eww

ewwww

"Disgusting"

"Ewww, this apple is rotten"

Disgust, dislike

hmm

hm, hmmmm

"I wonder"

"Hmm, I'm not sure about that"

Thinking, hesitation.

huh

"Really?"

"Huh, you were right"

Mild, indifferent surprise

huh?

eh?

"Isn't that so"

"So she dumped you, huh?"

Asking for confirmation

ich

yuk

"Disgusting"

"Blerch, this apple is rotten"

Disgust, dislike

meh

eh

"Who cares"

"Meh, whatever you think is best"

Indifference

mhm

mmhm, uh-hu

"Yes"

"Do you think so too?" "Mhm"

Agreement, acknowledgement.

mm

mmm, mmh

"Lovely"

"Mmm, this ice cream is delicious"

Pleasure. Sometimes it means "hmm" instead.

oh

"I see"

"Oh, you wanted sugar, not milk."

Realisation

ooh

oooh

"Wonderful!"

"Oooh, it's shiny!"

Wonder, amazement (ohhh can also mean ahhh)

oops

"I didn't mean to do that"

"Oops, I knocked over your cup"

Being surprised at or acknowledging your own mistakes

ow

oww, ouch

"That hurts"

"Oww, I hit my thumb"

Pain

pff

pffh, pssh

"That's nothing"

"Pff, I once caught a fish twice that size"

Unimpressed

sheesh

jeez

"I can't believe this!"

"Sheesh, now he's drunk again"

Exasperation, annoyance (corruption of "Jesus")

tsk-tsk

tut-tut

"Disappointing"

"Tsk-tsk, he is late for work again"

disappointment, contempt (this is a clicking sound. Clip from Futurama)

uh-hu

mhm

"Yes"

"Do you think so too?" "Uh-hu"

Agreement, acknowledgement.

uh-oh

oh-oh

"Oh no!"

"Uh-oh, I think the bear is inside the house"

Concerned for indications that something will happen

wow

"Amazing!"

"Wow, that's incredible!"

Impressed, astonished

yuk

ich

"Disgusting!"

"Yuk, I wouldn't want to touch that"

Disgust, dislike

No comments:

Post a Comment